Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Scary Trainer Update

So, I have had a lot of thoughts about this training thing swirling around in my head for a while now so I decided to post them all down to get everyone up to speed with where I am.

I started this the first week of January when my Hunny Bunny, tired of my bitching and moaning in the last 2 years minimum about my fat-weight-flab-heft, got me a 6-month membership to the gym up the street, complete with 10 personal training sessions.

Some women might not think this was such a good gift. I, however, think it's one of the best gifts I've ever received. Of course, my Hunny Bunny has a knack with giving the best gifts. Anyway...

So it's been about 7 weeks and I have lost a total of 8 pounds at my lowest eight. Every four weeks, Scary Trainer mixes up the routine and if I don't like something in it, then too bad for me because I am stuck with it until the 4 weeks are up.

He creates two routines - one for each of the two days that I work out with him. And we alternate between those every single week.

How does diet fit into it? I cannot express how important diet is! I have learned this the hard way. The first two weeks, I was eased into an eating regimen that was pretty flexible. Of course, I couldn't have any pizza and rice. Phase II of the diet was pretty hard. It lasted 3 weeks with the last day of week three being a cheat day. Now I am into Phase III. I am rotating through Phase II, two days at a time. On the 7th day, on Saturdays, I have a cheat day. So far so good.

The best part of this is that when I feel like I can't make it another day, I can have that piece of bread or that piece of fruit that I couldn't have yesterday. And I can always wait at least one day for something I want. It's not going to float off the planet, after all.

I have also found that Saturdays are good cheat days for me because I am running around without a set schedule and those are the days when I am most apt to go out and eat or to an event or party. Fridays aren't an issue because I can have some carbs and I tend to just come home and crash or go to a nice quiet dinner with Joseph.

I am on Phase III indefinitely until I lose all the weight and fat that I want to lose. If I plateau, Scary Trainer will mix things up and give me a different amount of food to eat.

One of the other good things about this is that by the time I reach my cheat day, I do not reach for the carbs at all. I still take small helpings. The good news is that I can eat 8 times a day if I want to instead of 5 or 6 times and I can have that red bean mochi instead of an apple or nuts.

Right now he thinks that I have gained considerable muscle mass. He says there is no way that I could have increase weights and rep every single workout like I have been unless I have developed some muscle mass. And last night was no exception! So those 8 pounds could represent a 10 or 11 pound loss with a 2 or 3 pound muscle gain.

So, even though it seems hard it really isn't. I guess with everything, it's about setting your mind to it and just executing.

I do know that having gone through weeks of this, there is no way I could have done this alone. I know all the info, all of the exercises, etc. But I didn't know how to put it all together. And then I would be second guessing myself as to if I was doing it right.

So, Scary Trainer notwithstanding, along with all those icky exercises I hate like that stupid chin up and woodchop thing, it's working.

And I am really really happy about that!


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger rocketpants said...

Way to go with the weight loss and sticking with scary trainer.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home