Saturday, May 03, 2008

India Report

Time: 10:31 PM IST.

We arrived safe and sound this morning around 3am. Just an hour late. Good news is that we are still at the old airport, which means that instead of the estimated two hour drive to the hotel, it only took us about 45 minutes.

We are staying at the Taj West End and this time, I am closer to the main building, right next to the pool area. Not too bad. It's like a veranda room. I have a veranda that I enter through. Room is smaller than my last one.

After a short sleep, we had lunch around noon and then went shopping near the Commercial Street.I ended up buying presents for our Nephew Luke and some odds and ends for Joe's sisters and mother, a vase for my sister in law, a few things for the house - brass swans and large vases in two sizes all with intricate hand carvings. They will go into the dining room. They were about $350 USD and I will have to check them as hand luggage but it's the kind of thing you just can't find in America! And if you do, it's not as big and will cost 10 times as much. My massage therapist who is from India said that the local antique dealer (Mohr and McPherson) charges 1 rupee to the dollar. That's pretty bad since the current exchange rate is about 40 rupees to the dollar.

Then we went to dinner at my ex-manager's new house that he had built and moved into late last year. It was amazing. It's huge by Indian standards. But everywhere you look, there is polished granite. He even had polished onyx in the floor as accent highlights.

Now, I am totally exhauted and totally full! My stomach is refusing to digest food. This is going to be an interesting week.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home