Thursday, January 15, 2009

2009 New Restaurant #1: Ruth's Chris, Boston

Ruth's Chris happens to be one of my favorite steakhouses of all time. I remember the first one I ever went to in Crystal City in Washington DC. A friend of mine pointed out that we went to another one in Birmingham AL but I didn't remember that until she pointed it out to me. I think the whole experience of actually visiting Birmingham was so traumatic that I put it completely out of my mind.

Last night I took my managers to a Thank You dinner there and it did not disappoint. It remains one of the best steak restaurants that I've ever been to. The Chop Salad is still as good as I remembered it. And my filet and lobster tail were superb. The sides are typical of these a la cart places - shareable family style, and excellent. The wine list was also very good. Not big but it had a lot of quality wines. I went with what I knew to be good quality and "safe" by choosing the 2005 Stag's Leap Artemis Cabernet Sauvignon. It needed a little airing in the glass but it was excellent and went very well with a variety of the steaks and even with the lobster tails. I had a carmelized banana cream pie for dessert which had REAL sliced banana on top of a round individual serving pie, with sugar on top that had been carmelized using a torch - the type you use for the creme brulee. It was delicious!

I would recommend this place to anyone in the area looking for a good solid steak.

The interesting thing was that the place was filled with MEN. You could count the women in there on one hand. I have no idea what that is all about.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger deborah said...

soooo ... how's that 2009 food plan going?

12:46 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I think the restaurant is a favorite of traveling businessmen on expense accts.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I think Cheryl got it right, except they don't always have to be traveling.

Anyway, you're right: Ruth Chris is a great place. Too many good things to mention.

But right now, I'm WeightWatching. That means my next trip there is a long way off. Although, if I lose 4 more pounds by Feb 13, I get to treat myself to "Five Guys and Fries." Yee-haw!

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home