Saturday, February 07, 2009

8 turns to 12 1/2

Got up this morning to a slight rain. Of course, they average only 10 days of rain and one of those days happens to be during our vacation. That's ok, though. I'll take 50* and rain to 9* and snow any day of the year! And the rain here is weird. Hard to decribe. It was sort of a "dry" rain. Very strange.

Joseph went ahead of me when the rain stopped. I ended up diddling around so much that when I headed out the rain had started up again. So I made a spit second decision and headed to the fitness center thinking I'd run on the treadmill. But the the door was locked!!. I checked the time. 8am. I check their door. 9am. Who the hell opens the fitness center at 9am??? What kindaplace is this??

So given that it was a 1/4 mile here, and since I wasn't dead from the rain, I made another split second decision to go up into the canyons again. This was mostly because I did not want to wait an HOUR for the fitness center to open!

I was sooo glad I did that. I almost immediately ran into Joseph who said if I run a little further than the yellow sign with the squiggles on it that I usually turn around at, I'd reach the end of the trail in another half mile and there is a trailhead. Hmmmm

So, I just ran. It felt great. I kept running after the yellow sign with the squiggles and I saw the trail head sign - Bear Cove. Hmmm... I looked at my mileage and saw it was not that long... well... it was long but that was okay... I felt good. So, I veered off into the trailhead And it turned out to be some main area with little overhangs and a big sign that showed the trails. I stood there and tried to read the signs. I don't run trails and I didn't know what to do or how to read the signs so I just picked a path and ran. And ran and ran. And at one pointed ended up on a tight twisty technical trail only to find on the way OUT that I could have avoided the whole thing by running down an embankment. HFFFF! I ended up turning my left ankle a few times by stepping painfully on some rocks. So I decided after the third time I'd better not push my luck and head back.

On my way back, around mile 10.36 Joseph showed up in the car. Turns out he was wondering what happened since I had left a note saying I was going for 8 miles. And here I was 2 miles from the hotel after 10 miles. Hmmm. Well if he hadn't told me about that trailhead... So I told him it was his fault. :o))

The last mile of the run was really painful because of my left foot. I didn't know what was going on until I remembered that I had stepped HARD on some rocks 3 or 4 times. And I had a feeling that I had bruised the muscles.

So, I ended up we almost 12.5 miles. Because of the trails, it was really slow but I am glad I did it.

When we leave Monday, I'm really going to miss running here. I have never felt this comfortable running during my travels, and not especially running long. Usually I am so uncomfortable in a new place that I give it up after a day or two of 2 milers. I mean, why the hell run at all, right? Yah. So I don't, usually. But this is different. I have never had such great running. My only regret is my foot. I have a feeling that I am going to have to rest it tomorrow and I am freaked out because I have been working out every day since December 29th and I do not want to take a break. I do not know what I am going to do.

I did sit in the hot tub outside our room for 25 minutes and the heat was nice. I know it will tighten up again later and the pain will return. So I suppose the only thing I can do is drink heavily tonight at the Italian restaurant we're going to.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger deborah said...

and now you know why I love running on trails so much. I can hardly force myself to run on the road anymore.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home