Friday, February 06, 2009

The desert in winter...

...has perfect weather. 50's in the evening and early morning, 60's during the day. A slight breeze, enough for a light jacket with short sleeves underneath and shorts.

I love this resort, La Quinta Resort and Spa in... guess where... La Quinta (yup), which is right next door to Palm Springs.

As far as I can tell this whole area is just for golf. It's a valley surrounded by rocky hills and mountains with palm trees and scrubs. I think the palm trees are not exactly native to the area.

We got here on Wednesday night around 6. Yesterday, I went to a 6 mile run on the Bear Creek Trail. It's a nice concrete path a dirth trail running right next to it. As far as I can tell it's about 3-4 miles long. I haven't been to the end yet. Running on it was wonderful! After, we stayed on resort and did 3 hours of spa actvities after a lunch at the Spa Bistro. I had wonderful fish tacos and Joseph had. a grilled chicken on brioche. We also ordered homemade handcut onion rings and washed it all down with a modelo. The fish tacos looked so good that Joseph had one of the two that came in my order. And he LIKED it! Which was good because there was no way I was eating both.

Wednesday night we went to the Adobe Grill and had guacamole made tableside. I did not feel guilty eating it because all it was was avocado, onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro and a little salt. NO oil! I know if you get it from the grocery, it's 100 calories per 2 tablespoons! I mean who eats just TWO TABLESPOONS? Yah. That's about what I eat on ONE TORTILLA CHIP!! Half way through, I stopped the chips and had it plain by the forkful. I did take a breath inbetween so that Joseph could get a few picks at it. That was acompanied by a yummy margarita (only one) and then for dinner I had a pecan crusted halibut on a whole wheat pasta with a mango banana sauce with some small thimblefulls of strange accompaniments - about 6 pearl onions in some sort of chili pepper sauce and red beans and sausage in a tiny little cup.

Joseph had a shrimp baja which was melange of sausage and shrimp with veggies and cubed potatoes. It had a flavor similar to a marsala but with Mexican spices. And of course there was desert. Joseph had fried bananas with vanilla ice cream and I had sopapillas, 3 round mexican donuts a little bigger than large munchkins on a skewer axccompanied by some yogurt cream dip. I had half and Joseph had the other.

This morning we just went to the on resort coffee shop and I ended up with a lox and bagel sandwich. I only ate half and saved the other half for later in our handy dandy fridge. Then I was off for a 6.5 mile run.

After the run, we went off to the golf course. We had a god breakfast there - I had the corned beef hash with poached eggs and Joseph had a breakfast sandwich with hash browns. Both were very yummy.

We are trying to limit our intake of food. I am trying to eat half my food only. I haven't logged my food yet so I don't know how bad it's been. But I've been running 6 miles a day so far. And tomorrow and Sunday, I'm hoping to get in 8 or 9. Of course I'll run Monday - hopefully another 6 before heading back to Boston and the ice and snow with inhuman subarctic temperatures! GAH!

I am really liking this "desert in winter" event. Next year there is a 100 mile ride one weekend and a half marathon the following weekend. We might just have to come back and time it for those two events, ship our bikes out, etc.

Or I could just move out here.
That would be much easier.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home