Thursday, February 19, 2009

Random Thoughts: Leadership is overrated

"Leader", "Leaders", and "Leadership" have got to be the most overused word in the English language these days.

So let me state the facts.
Not everyone is a leader.
And not everyone has the ability to be a "leader."
If you could be a leader, why would there be any followers?
Everyone as Chief? Wrong. This is not how the world is set up.
Most of us are lemmings.

And leaders in management? Yah. Right.
Trust me when I say that not everyone in management is leader!
In fact, I would say that Leadership in Management is a minority.

Oh. And another thing.
People are not assets or resources.
People are Humans.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Hughes said...

Hear, Hear!

And hopefully you have leaders that are not in management as well!

Leadership takes many forms. For example I encourage and preach leadership from my senior technical staff. This means that they set an example for the less-than-senior technical staff. Otherwise the less-than-seniors won't have the mentoring necessary to become senior technical staff. Ya know what I am saying here?

So can everyone be a chief? You say no - and thats probably true. But, I try to look at everyone on my staff and identify at least one thing that they can be chief of and then challenge them to be the leader in that area. This could be chief of someone; or it could be chief of something. Whatever it is, I try to inspire that person to own that thing and develop it passionately and defend it and in general be a leader around that thing. Whatever it might be.

And some people are good at this and they get more and more things or people to lead and grow. And some people struggle with just one thing.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Right on. Good post. Humans are people; kids are people, too.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home