Monday, April 13, 2009

Five Years and Better than Ever

We went to New York City to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We got married on Marathon Weekend because we met due to running and the marathon, etc.

And this is where the Law of Unintended Consequences takes over. Little did I know that getting married on Marathon Weekend meant we could never celebrate by going away or being alone during our anniversary because we run the marathon (at least Joseph runs it every year) and we host about 10 runners for the weekend and we have a huge brunch for 30-50 of our running friends from all over the world and all over the country.

So, this year was going to be more of the same until our friend Michael from NYC invited us to a surprise birthday party for his wife Mary. Of course we had to go! There was never a question. But we decided to make it a long weekend and enjoy ourselves. Alone. Just the two of us. We didn't tell our many friends in the area that we were coming.

Whenever we're in NYC, we go to Delfrisco's for dinner. It has meaning for us because Joseph was there to support me during my NYC marathon. He didn't run. He just waved a pink flag and met me all over the city. And in Harlem, when I saw him standing there cheering, I broke down and cried because I couldn't go on anymore, he was there to run me in as far as he could go. Through Central Park. And to my PR marathon time. And we went to Delfrisco's to celebrate. Not just my race but those of a group of very special friends, some who ran, some who supported the runners. And we've been going there ever since.

So last night was no exception. What a terrific place. They're service is professional and attentive without being cloying. They are high end without being stuffy. They are casual in a way that a high end place can be because they know they are good and quality is what it's about, not all the put-ons and pretensions. I love that about DelFrisco's. And you never get a bad meal. Never.

Turns out there are a lot of people from New England in NYC. Our waitress was from Methuen. And the Maitre'd is from Winthrop!

We started with tuna tartare and a baked crab cake on remoulade sauce. Fabulous!!

Joseph ordered the 8 oz filet with a shiitake mushroom merlot reduction. And I ordered a peppered 16 oz ribeye. Delicious!! I left a lot on the plate. Who eats a POUND O' MEAT?? Well, I certainly don't.

We also got a sweet potato casserole and creamed spinach to share! Delicious. They know how to make a fresh creamed spinach!! And that sweet potato casserole was so delicious. Mashed with a brown sugar crumb topping.

Joseph ordered a bottle wine by bin number. I wasn't paying much attention. I was busy with my Clynelish. :o)). And then the sommelier came up with glasses and the wine. I didn't know it was the sommelier unti later. But she said something about bringing out the "good glasses" for the wine. Then she presented the bottle to me.

OMG! I was speechless. A bottle of 1985 Chateau Pichon LongvilleComtesse de LaLande. It's my favorite. So much meaning. My first bottle of red wine given to me by my father when I was young and stupid and he was alive and vibrant. So much meaning. I cried.

The Sommelier took it back to decant it. I'm sure she tasted it to make sure it was fine. It was the last bottle they had. She brought it back, asked me to taste it, which I did knowing full well she would never serve it if it were bad. It was magnificent. When I smelled it, the wonderful scent of rare books that good bordeaux always seem to emit. Wonderful. And the taste was so deep and complex. As it unraveled while it sat, you could taste the earth that it was grown in. What is it is about French wine? There's nothing like it.

For dinner, we had a small bottle of 2002 Chateau de Yquem Sauterne to celebrate the year we met. So delicious.

It was a wonderful celebration filled with love and memories and lots of laughter. Always laughter. I look back and we have lived a lifetime in our five years together. But then again, we are convinced we have lived a lifetime together already. We are looking forward to the next five years. To living another lifetime together. Forever.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home