Sunday, April 12, 2009

Off the beaten publications

During the run today, I ran up 53rd and noticed a lot of restaurants, one after the other. I wasn't sure if they were all open for lunch though. Then I turned onto 2nd and noticed the Buttercup Bake Shop. The last time we were there was with Joanne and Luke. And since then I've read about them in various publications and thought "I've been there!". They make cupcakes. I love cupcakes.

When I got back to the room, I told Joseph about all that I had seen and noticed. This was amazing in and of itself because I never see anything. And if I do, I certainly never remember seeing anything.

After showering and getting ready for the day, we headed up toward 53rd to see what we could find. And we ended up at Luna Piena on East 53rd and 2nd Ave.

It was very Italian. From the owner to the wait staff to the wines and menu.
I could have sworn they were FOB (Fresh Off the Boat).
We started with a bufalo mozzarella and cherry tomato appetizer which was drizzled with olive oil. It was delicious. You rarely find bufalo mozzarella on any menu. And we had this with mimosas, tradition brunch item.

Joseph had a pasta with meatballs. And I had a grouper with saffron rosemary potatoes and steamed broccoli. I had a glass of Orvieto. Perfect with the fish. The whole meal was fabulous. Delicious.

For dessert we ended up with an Italian cheesecake which was made with ricotta cheese. I ordered pistachio gelato, which wasn't want wierd irridescent green of most pistachio ice creams you see. And cappucino. Must have cappucino. No one makes coffee like the Italians!

It was absolutely fabulous. We didn't read about it in some major tourist publication. And we knew the locals in Midtown East came here regularly. There were a couple of large parties that were definitely made up of locals and families because of the way they were greeted. That's akin to going to a Korean restaurant and having it filled with Koreans!

We will put it down for a must-revisit sometime in the future.
If you're ever in the neighborhood, throw away those "Where to Eat" and "Dining" tourist rags and just walk over to 53rd and 2nd for a friendly, delicious meal.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home