Sunday, May 10, 2009

2009 Restaurant Review #5: Uncle Julio's

So, when I was in Texas for work the week after the marathon, we went to a place called Uncle Julio's. It's in a strip mall on the side of the highway. First of all, there are a lot of restaurants in strip malls on the side of the highway in Texas so you tend to get blinded to the fact that they are there. And being from New England where (at least in the area where we live) there are very little strip malls, it's hard to think that anything in a strip mall can be any good at all.

Well, what little gems those strip malls can hold in Southlake, Texas! Who knew? Uncle Julio's is HUGE. And in true Texan style, the portions are huge. The only thing I found out of whack was that the margarita I ordered was NOT huge. Ahem.

We started out with home made tamales. Good grief, they were good!!! I liked the plain ones best - although I did try the pork and the chicken ones. The chips and salsa was also very good - no spicy enough for me, though.

Uncle Julio's is known for their fajitas. Well... who knew that the fajita was less about the onions and pepper swimming in oil than it is about the flavorings of the meat rub used on te deliciously tender flank steak. Mine came with a half rack of ribs. It was a lot of food. It was a shame I was staying at a hotel and couldn't take a doggie bag with me.

Leaving the parking lot, I noticed a giant arrow with "Uncle Julio's" in purple and yellow, all lit up with hundreds of light bulbs. And I missed this from the highway? Wow. I am definitely going to gives strip mall restaurants a second look, that is for sure.

Anyway, now that work is further out from Dallas than before, it is good to know there are still good and reasonable places to eat. Uncle Julio's has made my list of regular places while I'm in Texas.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Hughes said...

Yeah Uncle Julio's is not too bad either. Its not on our regular tex-mex list, as there is not a strip mall nearby with one of their locations! But good non-the-less!

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home