Saturday, May 02, 2009

Feeling Better

Today, I went out for a 4.5 mile run. It felt good. It felt like it did last week when I ran before the weight lifting debacle earlier this week. My adductors were feeling it but was not so bad. And my hamstrings were tired but no pain. My glutes were working but didn't feet anything bad. The key is to keep the momentum going, keep recovering and move forward.

So next week, I am going back into the gym. I think that Scary Trainer really thought I was joking around and being a drama queen until I sent him a series of emails. And people on Facebook were like, "Uh... what the hel were you thinking??" I think at that point he took it really seriously because he canceled Friday's sessions.

So next week, I am putting my foot down. Stay away from my freekin' legs, man! I want to do just core and upper body. No squats, lunges, anything that puts ANY kind of concentrated stress on the legs. I am NOT going to go backwards again. If he doesn't listen, the I will force it by not going back for a full 3-4 weeks after running a marathon. But I think he will. He's not a runner so he can be stubborn. He thinks runners and cyclists are nuts and thinks it's bad for us. Ok. Maybe not to that extreme but he definitely doesn't get it.

I will say that he is an excellent trainer for what he does. The problem is that very few people lift weights to lift weights. It's because they are injured or need to get stronger, and usually after a bad situation occurs. But no one I know really spends all that time in the gym after a certain point. He needs to realize how he can help runners. How he helped me. If it hadn't been for him, his methods, etc., I don't think I'd be training with him still. And I don't think that I'd be running this strong. Or be able to say that I've done some sort of exercise every single day since Dec 29th of last year. If he realized how he can help instead of compartmentalizing everything, he has a huge market out there of runners and cyclist he can tap into. I've been talking to him about this.

So, this is not to say that one week of reversion and pain was his fault. It's not. It's MY Fault. It's my fault for being lulled into the belief that I can withstand anything even when common wisdom and science said that recovery after a marathon takes 3-4 weeks of EASY running. And that does NOT include heavy weights in the form of squats, lunges, and cleans.

So live and learn. It was a very hard lesson.


Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I wouldn't give up on the squats, lunges or any pyometrics for that matter. Yes there is a method to his madness. He's trying to strengthen your leg muscles. Running hills and climbing numerous amounts at stairs until nauseum sets in is fine, but there has to be some sort of leg strengthening done over the year. Yes it is extremely tiring, but after a few weeks of doing various leg exercises, you'll notice improved stride length and quickness.

Now the one thing I noticed is that you didn't mention anything reagrding hamstring strength or conditioning. It's a much overlooked leg muscle that doesn't get it's due attention in terms of leg strength and muscle development. Work those hamstrings and you'll be rewarded with even further gains in terms of your training.
Good Luck and Have fun

9:58 PM  
Blogger Chris Hughes said...

> He thinks runners and cyclists are nuts

Well DUH!

And Michael - Strength and plyometrics should be done during the base training (according to Lydiard). I think Ms. J is trying to ride the crest of her race training from Boston. After the next marathon, one would reset back to base. (Unless of course J decides that third Marathon is in order. And in that case refer back to ST's comment about runners and bikers.)

Ahem...

7:26 PM  
Blogger J said...

Chris is exactly right. But seems that the gods and planets are against me. First the set back with the stupid heavy leg workout during prime recovery week. And now I have this stupid hip flexor issue from core workout. Scary Trainer doesn't understand runners at all. He reads the research and chooses to focus on the bad stuff. I am trying to bring him around. This has to be done slowly it might send him into shock. But he is listening, and learning and trying. Even if he doesn't want to. After the marathon, I will recover and the go right back into resting and base building. Heavy legs at that point once again.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home