Thursday, June 18, 2009

2009 Restaurant Review #8: The Press Club, San Francisco, CA

I am not sure if I should put this on my restaurant list but the concept was very interesting.

When I first heard "press club" I thought it had to do with newpapers and magazines, etc., and that was what the decor would be like.

But no. What a surprise. The Press Club refers to the pressing of the wine. It's a place you go for wine tastings and you also order food. The walls are lines of wine bottles in a modern open clean decor. It had comfy seating with coffee tables instead of dinner tables. They also had long bars with stools where you could line up for tastings as well. I thought, "wow, what a concept! This would work well in Boston!"

We tasted two Mt Eden Vineyards wines, a 2004 estate chardonnay and a 2003 cabernet sauvignon. The daughter of the owners was there and she talked to us about the wines and how their vineyards is south of San Francisco, which means warmer climate and what that does to the fruit, etc.

The chardonnay is made in the burgundian style and it was fabulous! I am hopiung we can find some in Boston. They are going to be bottling the 2006 pretty soon and I think we should get a half case and hold it for another 2-3 years and see what happens.

The cabernet was different, very light and very dry. I think it needed to sit for longer than we had time for. I wasn't thrilled but I was bummed out we had to leave early because as I sipped, the flavor and the character of the wine changed.

We were only there for 45 minutes before going to dinner. But I would definitely want to go back there and spend some time. They have food you can order - cheese plates, sliders, etc., to go with the wine.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home