Monday, August 24, 2009

Back to the same ole inspiration

It's always the same story. Go to an athletic event, get inspired, workout and eat right for a few days, and then fizzle out. At least, until the next event. And this heat and humidity adds a lot to the fizzle unfortunately.

So yesterday was no different. Joseph and I went to the Timberman Half Ironman to cheer on his tri team participants. On any other weekend, Joseph would have been out there competing but not this year because of the wedding we went to on Saturday night.

And every time I go, I am inspired and awed in so many ways. First there are the super fit athletes you know you could never compete with. Then there are the not so fit looking but you know they are because they are out there doing this race. And then there are those that make you gape because if you ever saw them on the street, the largeness of their person would make you think that all they did was sit on the couch and eat. And eat and eat and eat. But they are out there competing in a half ironman and that evoke a totally different kind of feeling - awe, disbelief, and certain feelings of inaqdequacy. And this coming from someone who has run probably over 50 half marathons and about 15 marathons.

And every time I go, I come away with renewed feelings of rejuvenation and commitment. This time it was a wake up call. My running/workout daily streak was 140 days before I got sidelined by a stupidity injury and I've never been able to get back to that same level of commitment and fervor. Maybe this weekend was just what I needed. Because now I am feel another workout streak calling my name.

I also walked away with a feeling of getting back into the pool, and missing those two-a-day workouts I used to do. I am thinking of going to the pool this week and giving it another go.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The Chance said...

I got sidelined with an overuse injury immediately after my first sprint triathlon and by the time I got over it, I didn't feel like racing anymore. Maybe I need to go attend one to get the fervor back. Thanks for the advice!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home