Sunday, August 30, 2009

Everything hurts

I hate taking time off from running. Why? Because when I get back into it, every little bit of further distance is crappy and everything hurts.

I went out for a 12 miler today. And of course I procrastinated, but I thought it was fine because I kept checking the sky and the sun was behind heavy clouds and it was cool, almost fall-like, and thought I had a lot of time. First mistake. By the time I was ready to go, I could see sunlight. ARG!

I ran long Beacon Street, down to Newton Center, then onto Center Street, and up Comm Ave, and then back down by the road next to Boston College and then around the reservoir and back down Beacon to home. 12.05 miles.

I was doing great for the first 10 miles. I am not wearing my HRM because I think the battery is dead (because it beeps incessantly while telling me that I am running at 150% of my max HR until I think I am going to go out of my mind) so I only wore my footpod. I was sort of cruising along, feeling pretty good (in spite of the blasted sun) and then it hit my. My left instep started hurting, my legs got really tired, and then my whole body just revolted. I walked a large portion of my last two miles and even then, my pace was not that much off my usually slogging pace. That means I was really cruising along for the first 10 miles. No wonder the wheels came off.

I also ran in my heavy training shoes instead of my lighter ones. I thought I would need the extra support and now I am wondering if these shoes and their extra ounces are really all that good for long runs. Next weekend, I have another 12 miles on the books and I'll switch to my lighter shoes and see what happens.

Tomorrow I will go out for an easy 3 miler. In my lighter shoes.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Holy cow! I'm so proud when I walk a couple of miles...

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home