Monday, August 03, 2009

The Marginal way

We found the marginal way.

It's a footpath that traces the coastline of Ogunquit. We had seen it when we were walking around and I decided to get up this morning and do a part of my morning run on it.

I first ran to Perkins Cove which is a tiny clusters houses and shops at one of the jutting points of the coastline. Cute shops and the view from the point was beautiful.

Then I found the Marginal Way from Perkins Cove and ran along enjoying the sites. First, the views were just beautiful. And a lot of people use this path - walkers and runners alike. And it's not flat. In fact, it's downright hilly! ACK! I ended up running the entire length, got off the path, took a side road that took me further up the coast and then onto RT 1.

What started out as a 3 mile run became over 6 miles. It was so nice running along the water's edge. And when I got onto RT 1, I wasn't worried about running out of water. There little shops every few hundred yards and I ran from town to town. I had the best time.

I got back to the inn and Joseph said he was getting ready to get the search party out for me. A quick shower and then check out.

We decided to eat lunch in Perkins Cove. There were 3 places that looked interesting and we finally settled on Oarweed. Funny name. We sat out in front outsideand had a great view of the water. We had the double luxury kingsize lobster roll which was on a buttered kaiser and had the meat from a 1.25 pound lobster (ALL of it) in it. It was delicious! And frankly, I was lobstered out at that point.

We did some shopping at the little shops, went up to get some pastries on the way out of town and then headed home.

I was so happy. I love Ogunquit. I think it's more practical to buy a vacation place here than in Booth Bay. We agreed we would come back next year and try staying for a week before deciding. In the meantime, I am loving the Maine Coast. Now I am thinking I want to explore ALL of it before we settle down in an area. But then that might take a lifetime! All I know is that when I was younger, I dreamt of a small home, high on a hill, above the town village, with a view of the ocean, and living there and walking to town for the day's groceries and to the local baker. Maybe it will come true one day.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Ogunquit (and York Beach) is one of my favorite places in the world. We go back every year (at least) and quietly dream of owning a home there someday.

I think I've done one run on Marginal Way, off-season and uncrowded. But honestly it's hard not to stop and listen to the water crashing against the cliffs....

Another nice run is along Ogunquit Beach, where the sand is packed. Head North towards Wells and it gets quiet relatively fast.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home