Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Riding the Train

It's been so long since I've taken the T. And for two days now, I've taken the T in and out of the city.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I've missed it.
The crowds surround me.
It is a time that gives me pause and makes me slow down.
No matter how late or in a hurry you are, it will only go ask fast as it will go. No more and no less.

When I took a mediation workshop once, many many years ago... too many for me to remember exactly how many it was... the leader was late. Turned out he was on the T. And he related how annoyed and agitated he was getting until he realized, there's nothing you can do to go faster.

Accepting a circumstance is something that is in the Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr:
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. "

I think I need that on my wall.
In my office.
In my bedroom.
How about the bathroom?
Heck, I might as well plaster it all over the shower, too, while I'm at it.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. "
Ok. On second thought, that might be a tall order.
How about if God grants me Serenity itself to start with?
That might be easier for Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home