Sunday, February 06, 2011

Shingles and Nerves

I have shingles.
Not the kind on the house.
I have the kind that sits in your nerve pathways and lays dormant until you have so much stress in your life and your immune system is so compromised.
Then it pops out.
I knew what it was when I first felt the aching.
I reached back and pressed and there was a burning sensation.
I thought, "Shit! Shingles. Sigh...."
And sure enough, 3 days later, the first blister appeared.

I am on Valtrex.
Third day and the blisters seem to be fading.
And it doesn't seem to be spreading - a good sign.

But then there is the pain.
The nerve pain which is a different kind of pain and can hang on for day, weeks, months and years - long after the blisters have disappeared.
It definitely gives new meaning to "getting on my nerves."
And if you think about all the things that got on your nerves to get to this point, it's really scary.
I guess it's better than a heart attack.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Mayo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:34 PM  
Blogger James said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear it. I hope you're able to manage it!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

From now on, please don't report such things on my birthday. But I hope you're rushing toward getting well.

8:20 PM  
Blogger sheena said...

This is my Good luck that I found your post which is according to my search and topic, I think you are a great blogger, thanks for helping me out from my problem..
Mercedes Benz SLK32 AMG Supercharger

3:56 AM  
Blogger Runwithshingles said...

I have had shingles on and off for 23 years I don't know of anyone else like me. I have been tested and I have had zero exposure to Herpes simplex. I take Valtrex and before that Zorvirax. I have more outbreaks on very long days of exercise, (Ironman) or inactivity. I average 30-40 miles a week of running but this week I will be lucky to get 20 in. As I get older (I am 45 y/o) the Neuralgia gets worse and longer. Your not alone and in a week all is well. Rest to come back stronger.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home